Saturday, May 21, 2011

That is the end, there is no more.

Back at the beginning of the semester, I said I’d write a little bit about the food here, and I never really got around to it. So,

Meals here go something like this:

Breakfast: Eaten when you get up in the morning. This one’s easy!

Midmorning Pincho: Eaten around 11:30-12. This is usually a little sandwich or piece of tortilla to hold you over until lunch.

Lunch: Eaten around 2:00. This took a long time to get used to. What’s kind of funny is that I told my students that in the US we eat lunch around noon, and they looked at me like I had 3 heads.

Dinner: Eaten around 8:30 – 9 at my house, could be as late as 10 or 11.

In general, the food is delicious. We eat a lot of sausage, potatoes, ham/pork, fish and bread. My favorite is the tortilla española , which is kind of like an omelet that includes potatoes plus ham or peppers or whatever you want to add to it.

In Spain, you can’t throw a stone without hitting at least one café/bar/restaurant of some sort. A lot of people like to meet up with friends after work/between classes/after dropping the kids off at school to go to a café and hang out for a while (which I guess is part of why dinner is so late). So, a bunch of us (study abroad-ers who I go to school with) realized a while ago that we live/work/go to school in Spain and this is real live, we have found our way to Café Oriental, which has been likened (not even by me!) to the Central Perk on Friends. You can stop by whenever, have a café and a pincho, and almost always find someone you know. It’s a little more Spanish, of course, because there’s a really old wall out front and no couch, and I like it better that way.


Anyway, tomorrow night I’m leaving. Exams are over, my bags are packed, I’ve said very sad good-byes to everyone at San Ignacio and the university, and now I’m just enjoying my favorite spots in Oviedo for one more day. I’m having trouble believing that I’ll be home for the first time since New Year’s. I think going back to my family, friends, and job at camp will make leaving Oviedo worth it (or at least tolerable)….I’m going to miss it, but I’ll be back someday.

Maybe once I get home I’ll write one more entry to post a few pictures or make some random observations about life back in the US (they say the first time I go somewhere like Wegman’s will be overwhelming?). If not, then thank you everyone for reading….I hope we can do this again sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment