Sunday, February 6, 2011

Q&A about life in Oviedo, Part 1


I've been wanting to write a couple entries on what it's like to actually live in Oviedo now that thing's have settled down (sort of). So, I'm stealing the idea from a fellow blogger to post some of the questions that I've gotten from people back home along with my answers. I'll try not to bore you to death (although apparently people are reading, because this page has had about 30 views since I put the little hit-counter up about 24 hours ago. Who are you people??).

Have you realized you’re actually staying for a while, and not just on vacation?

Wait, what? This is real life?

I mean, I’ve been here for about a month so I’ve (pretty much) gotten used to life here. I have kind of a day-to-day life with classes, San Ignacio, time at home, time with friends…something that has started to resemble a routine. But then I’ll do something like to a long weekend trip to Paris, or something “strange” (I still just want to eat lunch at noon!!), or I see something like this:



That says “OH HEY YOU’RE IN SPAIN!", and I have trouble believing that this is real life.

How’s the weather?

I realize this is kind of obnoxious if you’re somewhere like Canisius, where it’s feezing and you know you’ll never get a snow day, but the weather is SO NICE HERE. Right now it’s sunny and close to 60. People still look at me funny when I go out without a coat, but whatever. Before I got here, I was told how much it rains in Oviedo, but I haven't really seen it yet (yeah, I know. It'll rain tomorrow because I said that).


What are classes like?

Classes are a lot less stressful here than at Canisius. They're all Spanish classes, taught in Spanish, with other exchange students, so I’ve met people from all over the world. I hardly have any homework, and when I do, it’s something fun like translating a scene from Friends (you can laugh at my use of the word fun, I don't care...I'm the one in Spain :-p). The classes themselves can be boring sometimes (because, you know, they're classes), but other times we do things like take field trips to the 1000 year old church down the road.

I'll post more later. If you have any questions, please ask!

1 comment:

  1. What is the quirkiest custom you've encountered so far?

    What sight/smell/experience has been mostly likely to trigger homesickness?

    What one thing did you leave at home that you now wish you'd brought with you?

    ReplyDelete